Buyer - Birmingham, AL
Branch ID: 2207
Responsible for the procurement of a wide variety of materials, supplies, services and equipment. This candidate is involved with technical and analytical purchasing activities. This exempt position reports to the Purchasing Manager.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs purchasing of goods and services in a timely manner as required by company. Performs technical work involved with purchasing of supplies, services, equipment and stores stock items using the ERP system.
- Reviews and develops specifications for materials, supplies, services or equipment to be purchased.
- Solicits and analyzes written or verbal quotations.
- Prepares and analyzes competitive formal bids, prepares savings reports. Ensures contracted prices are kept.
- Follows-Up on orders previously placed, solving problems such as late delivery, variation from specifications, incorrect pricing, etc.
- Prepares reports on purchasing activities and budget control.
- Interviews vendor representatives and salespeople to establish new sources, products and methods of procurement.
- Negotiates with vendors regarding specifications, prices and delivery.
- Optimizes procurement activities and make recommendations for changes in the purchasing procedures.
- Planning of long lead time purchases for scheduled outages.
- Serve as back up for Purchasing Manager and/or Storeroom Supervisor.
Ideal candidate will have a minimum of a 4 year College degree and/or equivalent experience in a relevant field or in a similar position. 2. Demonstrated knowledge of common business practices relating to the purchase, pricing, terms, shipments, taxes and payment for goods and services. 3. Knowledge of ERP systems, preferable JD Edwards/PeopleSoft. 4. Prior experience in preparing and analyzing bid proposals. 5. Strong negotiation, customer service, and troubleshooting skills. 6. Ability to perform research and prepare clear and concise statistical purchasing reports 7. Good Knowledge of MS Office specially Excel. 8. Excellent communication and time management skills. 9. Good sense of urgency, common sense, analytical and able to make quick decisions. 10. Some knowledge of financial practices. 11. Work experience in an industrial/manufacturing environment highly desired.
Admin - Clerical
Temp to Hire Position
Admin - Clerical
Apply for this Position
City, State or Zip Code: Birmingham, AL
Position Type: Temp to Hire Position
Date Posted: 10/10/2018