Research Technician - Richmond, CA
Branch ID: 3204
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Under the direction of the Research Chemist/Chemical or Mechanical Engineer and Technical Team Leader, the Research Technician will provide safe and high quality, cost-effective operation of a variety of testing equipment and laboratory operations to provide data for various separations process R&D programs and requested work to Chevron customers. He/she will also conduct experiments using hazardous chemicals following good laboratory practices and according to Chevron Operational Excellence procedures.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
• Assists in research and development of new physical and chemical separation processes for removal of mercury from hydrocarbons. Work is at the lab, bench, and potentially pilot scale.
• Will be provided work direction by one or more research engineers. The work involves preparing separation agents (solvents, adsorbents, membranes, etc), operating, troubleshooting, maintaining, modifying separation and reaction testing equipment, such as distillation, adsorption, solvents extraction, membranes, and other reactive separation processes testing units, etc.
• Operates, troubleshoots, fixes, and maintains analytical instruments, such as gas chromatography, sulfur and nitrogen speciation detectors, Lumax mercury analyzers, etc .
• May set up new small bench scale equipment as needed. Uses co-workers, the shops, and EH&S for more extensive building/modification of microunits.
• Organizes, compiles, and files data. Makes basic calculations related to test runs and data workup. Does simple data interpretation, such as preparing graphs and Excel spreadsheets, and creating reports as needed. Maintains records (written and computer) of sufficient quality to support patent applications. Maintains an accurate and up to date Laboratory Note Book.
• Maintains a clean, neat, and safe laboratory according to safety policies and tenets. This includes keeping the lab up-to-date on safety inspections (e.g. regulator and relief valve inspections up-to-date). It also includes maintaining chemical inventory and other appropriate safety records for lab operations. Follows all safety regulations and procedures.
This is a safety-sensitive position and requires enrollment in a random drug and alcohol-screening program. Minimum lost time is required. Must be able to wear a respirator.
Performs other duties as needed that may or may not be associated with lab work, for example, packing & shipping samples, writing/updating procedures, data analysis, preparation of special reports, ordering supplies as needed.
• Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or two years college in Chemistry
• Strong mathematical skills highly desirable
• Must be able to learn quickly and bring forth new ideas and solutions
• Strong communication skills both written and oral
Minimum of 3 years R&D laboratory experience, preferred in the areas of chemistry or chemical engineering. Experience should include safe work with hazardous chemicals. Team work and ability to multi-task simultaneously. Proficient in Microsoft (Word, Outlook, Excel), Data manipulation and graphing along with analytical instrument software. Technician should show motivation to help develop and/or apply new analytical techniques such as GC, HPLC, etc. Attention to safety is critical, in working with chemicals, high-pressure and high-temperature process units.
The Company supports affirmative action and equal employment opportunity. The Company will provide equal employment in employment practices to all applicants for employment. Employment decisions shall be made without regard to any protected characteristic such as, but not limited to, race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, citizen status, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, status in regard to public assistance, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans and other protected veterans, genetic information and other legally protected classes. Furthermore, the Company is an E-Verify employer. Information provided on this application will not be used for any discriminatory purposes. The Company complies with all applicable federal, state and local non-discrimination laws and regulations. The Company will provide reasonable accommodations in the application or interviewing process. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or interviewing process, please contact us.
Not Specified Position
Apply for this Position
City, State or Zip Code: Richmond, CA
Position Type: Not Specified Position
Date Posted: 10/15/2018