Housing Program Specialist - Richmond, CA
Branch ID: 3203
Under the supervision of an Assisted Housing Manager, the incumbent will perform duties and responsibilities related to case management, inspections, occupancy, and rent analysis; and will independently and effectively perform assigned Housing Program Specialist duties following HUD and Richmond Housing Authority (RHA) policy and procedural requirements.
The Housing Program Specialist functions as a case manager for financially disadvantaged families in need of rental housing assistance. Incumbents are expected to develop knowledge of the Federal rules governing the various rental housing programs and the local discretionary policies and make appropriate decisions relative to their application.
Housing Program Specialist is the entry-level classification in the Housing Program Specialist series. Positions in this classification normally perform the full range of duties but with close supervision.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. Interview, evaluate and counsel prospective and continuing program participants on the elements of the rental housing assistance program.
2. Perform required calculations (manually and in the management information system) for initial and continued eligibility for rental assistance; compute utility allowances.
3. Provide technical assistance to participants and/or owners regarding their obligations under the rental housing assistance program.
4. Obtain required independent verification of eligibility factors, in compliance with federal regulations; update and maintain participant files.
5. Recertify income and household composition; assist in debt collection from clients and/or owners.
6. Monitor and enforce program compliance by owners and clients; initiate appropriate sanctions against program participants and/or owners for violation of program requirements.
7. Disseminate information about the rental-housing program to individuals and/or groups as necessary.
8. Inspect and survey housing units; visit property and list deficiencies; enforce compliance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS), HUD and RHA requirements.
9. Prepare and submit all necessary inspection documents following HUD and RHA requirements.
10. Respond to questions from owners and clients; provide them with counsel regarding program rights and responsibilities; resolve conflicts.
11. Approve rents if within appropriate ranges; review and approve proposed initial rents outside set range; review and approve owners request for rent increases; set rent ranges following HUD and RHA requirements.
12. Gather rent comparability data; develop and maintain a system for surveying, tracking, documenting, storing and retrieving information on rent comparability.
13. Compile, review, update and record rent data for the City of Richmond.
14. Negotiate Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contracts with owners.
15. Provide information and assistance in litigation situations, if required.
Knowledge of: Federal, State and local laws and rules and regulations relating to subsidized low-income housing and assistance programs, including basic inspection elements; community resource availability; subsidized low-income housing services; office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment; correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation; business letter writing and the use of standard formats for typed materials; departmental policies and procedures; the use of basic business data processing principles; the use of personal computers. Ability to: Perform mathematical calculations accurately. Communicate clearly orally and in writing. Monitor annual activities and ensure timely completion. Maintain orderly files. Respond appropriately to sensitive and/or confidential information. Work in a fast paced environment where work demands are constant. Respond appropriately and with sensitivity to issues affecting the safe, decent, and affordability of rental housing. Type accurately at a rate of 40 net words per minute from printed copy. Operate a computer. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Housing Program Specialist I: Equivalent to graduation from high school and two (2) years paid experience in a position involving moderate public contact preferably in a social service, housing service or other public service-orientated environment, which required interaction with individuals from diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds; AND possession (or attainment within one (1) year) of certification in occupancy, rent calculations, and HQS inspections from an industry-recognized organization such as NAHRO, Nan McKay or Quadel. LICENSE/CERTIFICATES/SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS Possession of, or the ability to obtain prior to employment, a valid California DriverÃ¢â¬â¢s License and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
The Company supports affirmative action and equal employment opportunity. The Company will provide equal employment in employment practices to all applicants for employment. Employment decisions shall be made without regard to any protected characteristic such as, but not limited to, race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, citizen status, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, status in regard to public assistance, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans and other protected veterans, genetic information and other legally protected classes. Furthermore, the Company is an E-Verify employer. Information provided on this application will not be used for any discriminatory purposes. The Company complies with all applicable federal, state and local non-discrimination laws and regulations. The Company will provide reasonable accommodations in the application or interviewing process. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or interviewing process, please contact us.
Admin - Clerical
Temp to Hire Position
Admin - Clerical
Apply for this Position
Housing Program Specialist
City, State or Zip Code: Richmond, CA
Position Type: Temp to Hire Position
Date Posted: 3/29/2019